Communications and Engagement Officer
The Right2Protest Project (R2P) is a civil society coalition working to advance the constitutional right to protest. R2P is based at the Centre for Applied Legal Studies which is a leading human rights centre in the Wits Law School. R2P is looking for a Communications and Engagement Officer to join our dynamic team. The appointment is a short-term appointment.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Matric Certificate
- 2-3 years of experience working in the civil society sector
- Paralegal experience is an advantage
- A demonstrated interest /experience in coalition/movement building in the human rights and social justice sector
- Experience in developing workshop material and facilitating workshops
- Ability to undertake research and produce written reports for publication
- Proficiency in MS Office and other design tools
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in several South African languages will be an advantage
- Willingness to travel extensively
- A relevant degree will be an advantage
- Co-developing and implementing the R2P communications strategy
- Co-developing and implementing the R2P advocacy strategy
- Co-developing R2P advocacy material
- Assisting in drafting the annual state of protest report
- Organising and facilitating workshops
- Engagement with different stakeholders (media, public, state officials etc.) on different platforms through press statements, interviews and opinion editorials, public presentations
- Building relationships and a network of partner organisations working on protest issues in all 9 provinces
- Representing R2P in civil society forums
- Managing R2P’s social media platforms
To apply please submit the following:
- A covering letter motivating why you have the necessary skills, experience and/or qualifications for this position as well as the names and contact details of 2 referees;
- A detailed CV;
- An academic transcript (if relevant); and a writing sample of no longer than 5 pages.
- All applications should be sent to Sibongile.Ncube@wits.ac.za.
Please note that we are looking for candidates who wish to pursue a career in social justice. Individuals from previously and currently disadvantaged population groups are particularly encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CLOSING DATE: 30th June 2021